Important Links for Yoga Teacher Trainees:
HATHA YOGA (any TWO of the following): Light on Yoga by B.K.S Iyengar; Yogasana by Yogiraj Behramji; Yoga: Mastering the Basics by Sandra Anderson and Rolf Sovik, Psy.D.; Hatha Yoga Manuals I and II by Samskriti and Veda
MEDITATION (TWO books): How to Meditate by Larry Terkel plus any one of the following: Yoga Psychology: A Practical Guide to Meditation by Swami Ajaya; Mantra & Meditation: Superconscious Meditation by Pandit Usharbudh Arya; Power of Mantra and Mystery of Initiation by Pandit Rajmani Tigunait, Ph.D.; How to Meditate Using Chakras, Mantras, and Breath by Dennis Chernin, M.D., M.P.H.; The Quiet Mind by Edited by John Harvey, Ph.D.; Meditation and Its Practice by Swami Rama
RAJA/ASHTANGA YOGA (any TWO of the following): The Royal Path: Practical Lessons on Yoga by Swami Rama; Raja-Yoga by Swami Vivekananda; Raja Yoga by Yogi Ramacharaka; Ashtanga Yoga Primer by Baba Hari Dass, et al;
YOGA SUTRAS (any ONE of the following): as How to Know God: The Yoga Aphorisms of Patanjali by Swami Prabhavananda & Christopher Isherwood; The Science of Yoga by I.K. Taimini; The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali : Commentary on the Raja Yoga Sutras by Sri Swami Satchidananda; Light on the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali by B. K. S. Iyengar; The Yoga-Sutra of Pata�jali : A New Translation and Commentary by Georg Feuerstein, Ph.D.
LIFESTYLE (any TWO of the following): Diet and Nutrition: A Holistic Approach by Rudolph Ballantine, M.D.; Transition to Vegetarianism: An Evolutionary Step by Rudolph Ballentine, M.D.; Freedom From Stress: A Holistic Approach by Phil Nuernberger
OTHER REQUIRED BOOKS (ALL of the following): Small Change by Susan & Larry Terkel; Science of Breath by Rudolph Ballantine, Alan Hymes, Swami Rama; Anatomy of Hatha Yoga: A Manual for Students, Teachers, and Practitioners by H. David Coulter; YOGA AND PSYCHOTHERAPY: The Evolution of Consciousness by Swami Rama, Rudolph Ballantine, Swami Ajaya;
PLUS any two of the suggested readings or other books from above. If you wish to substitute another title not on our list, please check with Matt or Larry.
Required Reading (16 books):
- Any books by T.K.V. Desikachar; Paramahansa Yogananda; B.K.S. Iyengar; Swami Rama or other Himalayan Institute authors; Baba Hari-Dass; Swami Vivekananda; Sri Aurobindo; Roy Eugene Davis; Ram Dass; Lilias Folan; Swami Vishnudevananda; Swami Satchidananda; J. Krishnamurti
- Any books on: Yoga Philosophy or Yoga Psycholgy; Astanga/Raja Yoga; Hatha Yoga; Pranayama; Yamas & Niyamas; Meditation; Chakras; Anatomy; The Bhagavad Gita
- Choosing a Path by Swami Rama
- God by Pandit Usharbudh Arya, D.Litt.
- Freedom From Fear by Swami Rama
- Perennial Psychology of the Bhagavad Gita Swami Rama
- Touched by Fire by by Pandit Rajmani Tigunait, Ph.D.
- Seven Systems of Indian Philosophy by Pandit Rajmani Tigunait, Ph.D.
- Jonathan Livingston Seagull by Richard Bach
- Autobiography of a Yogi by Paramahansa Yogananda
- Beyond Words by Swami Satchidananda, Lester Alexander (Editor), Peter Max (Illustrator)
- Hatha Yoga Pradipika by Vishnudevananda or translations by others
- Vivekananda: The Yogas and Other Works by Swami Vivekananda, Swami Nikhilananda(Editor)
- Be Here Now by Lama Foundation Editor, Ram Dass
- The Heart of Yoga: Developing a Personal Practice by T. K. V. Desikachar
- Integral Yoga Hatha by Swami Satchidananda
- Silence Speaks: from the Chalkboard of Baba Hari Dass by Baba Hari-Dass
- Swami by Doug Boyd
- Yoga, Youth, & Reincarnation by Jess Stearn
- Relax and Renew: Restful Yoga for Stressful Times by Judith Lasater Ph.D., P.T., et al
- Living Your Yoga: Finding the Spiritual in Everyday Life by Judith Lasater Ph.D. P.T., et al
- The Wisdom of No Escape: And the Path of Loving-Kindness by Pema Chodron
- The Miracle of Mindfulness: A Manual on Meditation by Thich Nhat Hanh, Mobi Ho(Translator)
- A Gradual Awakening by Stephen Levine
- Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind by Shunryu Suzuki, Trudy Dixon(Editor)
- How to Meditate: A Guide to Self-Discovery by Lawrence Leshan
- The Experience of Insight: A Simple and Direct Guide to Buddhist Meditation by Joseph Goldstein
- Journey of Awakening: A Meditator's Guidebook by Ram Dass
- The Complete Illustrated Book of Yoga by Vishnudevananda, et al
- The Sivananda Companion to Yoga : A Complete Guide to the Physical Postures, Breathing Exercises, Diet, Relaxation, and Meditation Techniques of Yoga by Swami Vishnu-Devananda
- The American Yoga Association Beginner's Manual by Alice Christensen.
- The American Yoga Association's Easy Does It Yoga: The Safe and Gentle Way to Health and Well-Being by Alice Christensen.
- Yoga for Wellness: Healing with the Timeless Teachings of Viniyoga by Gary Kraftsow
- Richard Hittleman's Yoga: 28 Day Exercise Plan by Richard Hittleman
- Yoga For Dummies by Georg Feuerstein, et al
- Yoga Mind, Body & Spirit: A Return to Wholeness by Donna Farhi
- The Runner's Yoga Book: A Balanced Approach to Fitness by Jean Couch
- Joints & Glands Exercises: As Taught by Sri Swami Rama of the Himalayas by Rudolph M. Ballentine
- The Anatomy Coloring Book Second Edition by Wynn Kapit, Lawrence M. Elson(Contributor)
- Human Anatomy Coloring Book by Margaret Matt
- START EXPLORING(tm) Gray's Anatomy - A Fact-Filled Coloring Book by Fred Stark
‑ Join our email list for Yoga teachers
‑ Join our email list for classes & other events
‑ The Spiritual Society & Yoga Center of Hudson
‑ Schedule of Classes
Weddings at the Old Church!
Read about Susan Terkel's NEW book: The Circumcision Decision|
Should I circumcise my son is a question parents of newborn boys are asked. The Circumcision Decision: An unbiased Guide for Parents helps them make an informed, personal decision. First it discusses all the issues � medical, religious, cultural, personal, sexual and ethical. Then it helps parents sort through the issues and determine which to consider, which to overlook and how to make the right decision for their son.